They advise, propose ideas and find new solutions – Gdynia Council for Seniors is an advisory team of the Mayor of Gdynia in matters concerning the needs of older residents and is an important link in the system of involving residents in co-deciding about the city.
11 members of the Council are representatives of organizations and local communities working for the benefit of seniors, including the City Hall, Senior Activity Center, Municipal Social Welfare Center, senior clubs and University of the Third Age.
Thanks to the extensive interests of its members, it is possible to exchange knowledge and experience, which results in a real impact on shaping the city’s social policy. During the meetings, held at least once every three months, the Council develops ideas and undertakes specific actions for the implementation of programs related to broadly defined support and activation of seniors.
It was thanks to the initiative of the Gdynia Council for Seniors that the 60+ age group gained a special card. This card gives them many benefits, including viewing matches played at the Municipal Stadium, using the services of doctors or beauty salons with a discount. After the Senior Plus Card was introduced, the number of Gdynia’s seniors taking up activities within the framework of activities organized and supported by the local government, increased in a short time to 13.000!!!
- over 2 thousand people signed up for lectures and activities of the University of the Third Age,
- the title of the City of Friendly Aging – awarded in 2016 by the World Health Organization (WHO) as the first city in Poland. Thus, Gdynia became a member of the Global Network of Towns and Municipalities of Friendly Aging, gathering over 300 cities from around the world and covering over 100 million inhabitants,
- The Commissioner for Citizens’ Rights has twice awarded Gdynia with an entry in the Book of Good Practices for Social Participation of Older People,
- 6.200 people use the Senior Plus card, which allows access to many discounts for various services and access to cultural and sports events,
- seniors can use free fitness, yoga, pilates or Zumba classes organized by Gdynia Sports Center,
It’s really worth taking and example!